Tennessee Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty is a network of political and social conservatives who question the alignment of Tennessee’s capital punishment system with conservative principles and values.
Together, we are questioning a system marked by inefficiency, inequity and inaccuracy.
We are concerned for a number of reasons:
- Small government and the death penalty don’t go together, especially when we compare the high costs of capital punishment to life without possibility of release.
- The death penalty system creates a roller coaster for family members of murder victims.
- We’re investing too much in a system that doesn’t keep us any safer than the alternatives.
- The death penalty contradicts our values about protecting life.
- Nationally, at least 150 death row inmates have been released after evidence came to light that they were wrongfully convicted. Despite our best intentions, human beings can’t be right 100 percent of the time.
Across our nation, the number of death sentences is dropping, and polls show support for capital punishment is at an all-time low.
We look to like-minded political conservatives to join us in shedding light on the inherent flaws of the Tennessee death penalty system.